After a strange winter, spring is finally here, and hopefully the warm weather will stay. With the warmth comes the dreaded but necessary annual spring cleaning! Here are a few important home improvement tips for maintaining a comfortable Northern Virginia home during the spring and the upcoming summer months.
Internal Home Tips
- At the start of spring, we advise homeowners to turn their ceiling fan blades so they are running (slowly) in a counter-clockwise direction (there is a switch at the base of the fan) so that cool air is better circulated. Cold air is then forced down and into a room, making it feel cooler.
- Check your caulking and weather stripping around doors and windows in your home. During cold winters the stripping can crack or even break, therefore causing the doors and windows to close less securely. Because of this, warm air could leak and cause your HVAC to work harder.
External Home Tips
- You should perform an exterior check of your home foundation to check for hairline cracks or settling that might have occurred. We would advise the removal of leaves or other debris from around the base of any home as well, to make sure rodents or other animals are not finding any way into your home.
- Have your HVAC unit inspected for both the summer and winter months. In addition to checking the unit both internally and externally, you should change the filter if necessary, check for leaks/bad hose connections, and make sure drainage is occurring properly. Also make sure you clean any dust that has settled in or on the unit – this can absolutely change the unit’s efficiency. Be sure to disconnect the power to the outdoor unit prior to cleaning with a power blower, vent brush, or garden hose.
- Check your deck for any water damage after an especially wet winter and rainy early spring. Carefully inspect for water damage where the deck meets the house as this can cause structural damage. If you suspect your deck is weakened, contact a professional to ensure your family’s safety. Also, be sure to clean your deck of any mold or mildew, preferably using a power washer.
- Check electronic garage doors each spring to make sure they are balanced. Pull the handle on each door and lift the door manually – it should open easily and smoothly. It should also stay open on its own about 3 feet from the ground. If not, and/or you suspect any other issues with your garage door, Moss Home Services can provide you with the name of a reputable garage door company for repair and maintenance.
- Clear the gutters of your home! Clogged gutters can lead to a host of issues, especially leaking.
- Carefully inspect your attic for any leaks that might have occurred, especially in the areas around the chimney and any skylights.
For more seasonal home improvement tips, download our app. We have a calendar that provides home care tips all year long! If you need any assistance with your spring cleaning, the professionals at MOSS are here to help. If you have general questions, call MOSS at 703.961.7707 or email Sales@MossBuildingandDesign.com.