How To Prepare For Today's Potential Severe Storms
With the forecast predicting potential severe weather throughout this evening, we wanted to share some helpful tips:
- Clear out basement stairwells and window wells
- Bring in any outside items that could cause damage
- Have flashlights and extra batteries in-case of power outage
- Continuously monitor the media and development of the storm
- Elevate items in your basement if it is prone to flooding
- Make sure your gutter spouts are pointing away from your home
- If possible, make sure your gutters are cleaned out
- Make sure all house and yard drains are not being blocked
Tips For Dealing With Your Insurance Adjuster
- Familiarize yourself with your policy and loss settlement so that you can speak intelligently with your adjuster
- Keep a running list of property that was damaged & try to get the value of these items
- Take steps to minimize the damage. Buy a tarp to put over the damaged area until someone can come out to see you
- Save all receipts and give them to the adjuster when he/she comes out
- Take steps to keep mold from accumulating. If there is water damage and mold forms, it is not included in the policy
- If you lose power, remember hydration is extremely important during this time. With the temperature in the mid to upper 90's all week, make sure to drink plenty of water to keep yourself from dehydration
- Visit a bookstore, or mall to escape the heat and keep your mind busy. Several people go to bookstores to relax, so why not go now to escape the heat if your power is out? Bring your computer because a lot of stores offer free WiFi!
Dominion Electric asks that you:
Please stay away from downed lines and anything touching them- assume they are energized and report them by calling 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357). Report any outage promptly, even if neighbors have done so, it will speed up the restoration process!
Should you have any home repairs that you need taken care of during this time please call Moss Home Services at 703.961.7707. Stay safe and use proper driving precaution as you head home this evening!